Thursday, March 6, 2014

The Battle of Natural Bridge, FL (March 6, 1865)

Natural Bridge Battlefield Historic State Park
Woodville, Florida
Today marks the 149th anniversary of the Battle of Natural Bridge, Florida.  Fought along the banks of the St. Marks River, the engagement was the last significant Confederate victory of the War Between the States (or Civil War).

Natural Bridge not only prevented the Union capture of Tallahassee and St. Marks, it stopped a planned Federal advance on Thomasville, Georgia, that would have devastated a vast area of North Florida and South Georgia.

To learn more about the history of this Florida battle, I encourage you to visit www.exploresouthernhistory.com/nbindex.

The page includes information, photos and links that will help you learn about the Battle of Natural Bridge and also features the new mini-documentary on the history of the engagement.

To learn about other sites associated with the battle, please follow these links:



4 comments:

Savez said...

I thought I posted this the other day. It must not have went through. I'm enjoying the series on Natural Bridge and I was wondering if you could provide a list of units stationed at Fort Ward during the war?
Thanks,
Clint

Dale Cox said...

Clint, I do not have a full list but am in the process of assembling one as part of a book I am writing on the fort. I'm in the research phase now. At the time of Natural Bridge, the fort was held by Campbell's Siege Artillery from Decatur County, GA, and the Confederate Marines from the CSS Spray, which was tied up alongside the fort.
Dale

Savez said...

Thanks! Looking forward to the book. I have been researching the CSS Spray for two years now. Lots of folklore surrounding her. I'm actually going to Emory University tomorrow to transcribe some letters for research on an Alabama regiment. There is a letter from Campbell at St. Marks to a Captain Pope. I'm going to look at that letter as well.

Dale Cox said...

Let me know what the Campbell letter says! I have some references on CSS Spray that might be of interest to you. They are mostly inventories and such that I found while researching the CSS Chattahoochee. I also have some personal accounts of the Spray's run to Cedar Key to bring away a schooner that was anchored there. She also is mentioned in some of the letters and diaries I used while writing the Natural Bridge book. I will gladly share anything I have. I would love to learn more about her.

Dale