|U.S. and C.S. flags fly over the restored monument.|
Located on the grounds of the Walton County Courthouse in DeFuniak Springs, the monument was erected in 1871 just six years after the end of the War Between the States (or Civil War). Carved from Alabama marble, it once stood in Eucheeanna when that community was the county seat of Walton County. The village had been severely looted by Union troops on their way to the Battle of Marianna in 1864.
|Rev. Tyrone Broadus delivers the Invocation|
Last year the Walton County Heritage Association launched a drive to raise funds to restore the monument, which had been vandalized several years ago. The $3,500 restoration is now complete and citizens from throughout Northwest Florida gathered this afternoon for an official re-dedication of the monument.
|Honor Salute by the Walton Guards|
The restored monument is designated by a historical marker and faces U.S. 90 on the southeast corner of the courthouse grounds in DeFuniak Springs.
Here are more photos from the ceremony:
|Setting up for the Ceremony|
|The restored monument and the Walton County Courthouse|
|Speaker's view of those assembled from the ceremony.|